No thanks to a healthy appetite last night and again this afternoon, my waistband feels unusually fitting.
Part (I)
I was very groggy yesterday morning, in part due to a bad case of nasal allergy that caused much breathing difficulty, and also due to the accumulating sleep debt. By mid-morning, I had to run to the docs for some anti-histamines to control the allergic rhinitis because it was affecting my ability to concentrate on work. After I declined to be put back on the steroid spray, the doc stated that I should be on at least a half day mc. That suited me just fine *beam*.
Off I went, quite gleeful because the bed beckoned and also because the medicine had worked its magic so I could breathe decently again. After a quick lunch, I slept. And the nap continued for a good FIVE hours. I was literally concussed and dead to the world. And it wasn't even due to the medicine – which was non-drowsiness inducing!
After coming to my senses, I obediently finished the restorative meal of soup and fish my mother had ordered. Then Kc and I went out for dinner (usually he eats and I talk) and I was actually hungry enough to eat again. An entire portion of crispy, oily and delicious Fish and Chips, and a sharing of molten dark chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream (but we were conscious to leave the cherry out. Haha as if it helped)! Apparently, sleeping more made me more hungry. One would have thought that a five hour nap would have made sleeping at midnight difficult. Apparently not. I fell asleep the moment my head touched the pillow.
Part (II)
Our dept lunched at Pete's Place today. It was a tantalising, cosy spread of salads, two soups, BREADs, a small selection of pastas and meats, and a tantalising spread of desserts. All in all a rather modest spread, but it suited my peckish palate just fine. After all, good bread and a tantalising salad spread was all I need. Oops, and well yes ladida, the dessert spread's quite important too. With all that carbo-rich (read: delish crusty bread with fluffy insides, aromatic aglio olio, biscotti, tarts) and cream-laden [read: glossy dark chocolate tart, decadent tiramisu (this was real good) and soup] food for lunch, it's really no wonder that I still have to be conscious about sucking in my tummy. It's more surprising that the tummy hasn't bulged into another layer!
Sufficient sleep, good nutrition and adequate exercise. How very important, but so oft neglected. May I add that a good nap after a meal has been top of my wish list for some time. Yes, that makes me seem like a lazy pig but no, I do not get to indulge in that even on weekends. Hence I am still mightily pleased to have slept so much yesterday. With the great (amount of) nutrition from these two days, I'm just left with getting the third part of the equation - adequate exercise. More badminton?
If you're feeling awfully burnt out, or just plain awful, or plain burnt out, try to get some sleep! Better yet, get a nice meal and then nap your way to sleep-heaven. Just remember to work it off and not make that a habit, unless you really really love to have triple chins and wobbly bellies.
No comments:
Post a Comment