We found an instant connection. That book and I.
It was lying on the lower shelf in the cookery section, and obviously not meant to be pushed, like all the other glossy cookbooks placed on shelves at the eye-level. But the name 'Ruth Reichl' just jumped out at me. She's the editor-in-chief of my favourite read, the Gourmet magazine, which is filled with photographs so appealing and writing so inspiring that I've literally been addicted to reading and dreaming about the magic of cooking, baking and well, just celebrating the joys of food.
*rubs hands in glee*
I read the introduction of Garlic and Sapphires, which chronicles Reichl's time as New York Times' food and restaurant critic, with all its juicy thrills, spills and bills (kidding), and was hooked. While it's true that it doesn't take much to win over someone already partial to the topic, I have read and replaced many a book (including those on this topic) within the first 30seconds of eyeballing its introduction. Suffice to say, I've already decided what my Christmas present would be. Just that I'll get it and read it in June, and decide by December that I've been such a good girl that another Christmas present would be well-deserved.
-----------------------------------------
I'm such a book-geek! I've spent very modestly this Great Singapore Sale, but it takes just one trip to the book store for all semblance of budget discipline to disappear!
No comments:
Post a Comment