If one had to compare on a happiness atmosphere index, which one would score higher - the arrival hall or the departure hall?
The arrival hall, the classic scene out of Love Actually with hundreds of scenes of heartwarming hugs, slaps on the back and tearful joyful reunions. The 'welcome back!'s, the children waving excitedly to their daddy or mummy who have just returned home and hopefully with lots of presents, the couples reunited at last, the worried parents relieved to see their precious child home , safe and sound, the air crew finally able to knock off from work to be with their families. And the curious tourists, happy to be on holiday or raring to go explore this foreign city.
Coming home.
Yet i saw so many solemn faces, so many dour expressions. Perhaps that could be attributed to the long taxi queue. Perhaps it'sjust that beneath every tired smile is actually a light heart, glad to be back. Or that the annoyed frown results from the impatience to rush home to hug his wife and children. Maybe.. after all I don't think I looked very happy. Just cool and perhaps wistful even, even though I was happy to see kc again.
The departure hall is often linked to saying goodbye. Many a friend have I bade goodbye to there. Some not to return until 4 years on, some still abroad. There's the choked good bye when you leave on a trip, when there's nothing I want to do but to run away quickly before the tears roll out and you see them. Then there's the pensive good bye, when people have no idea if that would be the first of many good byes, or the last of the goodbyes.
Not all goodbyes are sad though. Some go away on holidays, as I have, and are biided bon voyage by well-meaning family and friends. Families setting off on their much anticipated holidays, friends embarking on their coming-of-age backpacking trip, students finally a step closer to entering the college of their dreams. So many happy good byes too.
So who knows? I would have said, "the arrival hall" without a doubt. But maybe the departure hall isn't too far off.
No comments:
Post a Comment